How can you help?
- Be careful what you put down the drain. Bug killer, paint thinner and other chemicals are difficult for treatment plants to remove.
- Take short showers or shallow baths.
- Make sure to turn the tap off completely. One tap dripping twice a second will send over 50 gallons of clean water to the treatment plant each week.
- Turn off the water while you’re brushing your teeth, washing your hands, or washing the car.
- Do not pour grease down the drains.
- Do not put prescription drugs down the drain.
These items should not be flushed down the toilet
- Dental Floss
- Non-flushable Wipes
- Flushable Wipes
- Baby Diapers
- Adult Incontinence Protectors (i.e. Depends)
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Paper Towels
- Shop Towels
- Fat, Grease, Oils
- Garbage Disposals Fatty - Greasy Waste
Ideally the sewer system should handle only:
- Human Waste
- Toilet Paper