Facebook Link Twitter Link YouTube Link

Occupational Payroll Tax

Every employer paying compensation to an employee is required to withhold and remit 1.5% on all gross wages earned within the City of Madisonville.  If you have questions regarding the City's Occupational Payroll Tax, please contact the Finance Department:

Kathy Knox
77 N. Main Street
Madisonville, KY  42431
Phone:  (270) 824-2107
Fax:  (270) 821-0271
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Filing Requirements

Every employer withholding occupational payroll taxes shall file a quarterly payroll return with the city and remit the payroll taxes withheld.  Any employer whose gross payroll exceeds $150,000 for a 3-month quarter shall file returns and remit withholding on a monthly basis on or before the 15th day of each month.

Annual Reconciliation  Every employer who is required to withhold and remit occupational payroll taxes shall annually, on or before February 28 of each year, complete and file, on a form furnished or approved by the city, a reconciliation of the occupational license fee withheld on compensation paid or payable to employees.  Either copies of the federal forms W-2 or W-3, transmittal of wage and tax statements, or a detailed employee listing with the required information shall be submitted.

Failure to Withhold  Every employer who fails to withhold or remit to the city any sums required to be withheld and paid shall be personally and individually liable to the city for any sum or sums withheld or required to be withheld.  In cases where the employer does not withhold the occupational payroll tax from the employee (e.g., federal government employees), such employee or employees shall be responsible for filing with the city each quarter as if they were the employer. 

 Print  Email

Madisonville Transit (Bus)   GO Madisonville   Pay Utilities or Property Taxes   iRecycle Information   CodeRED Information   Contact Form
Madisonville Transit (Bus)   Go Madisonville   Pay Utilities or Property Taxes   iRecycle Information   CodeRED Information   Contact Form